HEALS provides school-based medical & dental care to children at local schools.
Mission of HEALS, Inc.
It is our mission to deliver accessible, quality, school-based, primary health care for children through collaborative efforts with the school system and the medical, dental and optometry communities. By providing accessible school-based health care for eligible economically disadvantaged children, we are a real solution, right now to the health care crisis by providing them with a medical, dental and optometry home.
HEALS makes a long-term national impact. In these times of health care reform, and much uncertainty on the national stage, HEALS is a real solution, right now. It is undisputed that early intervention and health education lead to lower lifetime medical costs.
HEALS makes a positive impact on our community. Healthy children learn better at school and have lower delinquency rates. Children who have a medical home where they are nurtured and supported are more likely to succeed in school, and in life. Children who receive positive attention and who are given ways to take positive control of their lives are more likely to exhibit better behavior in school and in the community.
HEALS makes an immediate impact. Children who have a medical home do not go to the Emergency room for routine care. Therefore, children get high quality continuity of medical care, and fewer tax dollars are required to subsidize ER visits.
Services Provided by HEALS, Inc.
HEALS provides medical care for kids
- Well-child check up (EPSDTs), immunizations, school sports physicals, acute and chronic care for illness and injury, lab work and prescription medications
- Management for chronic illness – asthma, diabetes, sickle cell anemia
- Onsite specialist care: ENT
- Referral for other specialty care: Orthopedic, Neurology, etc.
HEALS provides dental care for kids
- Preventive care, including cleanings, x-rays, fluoride, sealants, periodontal care
- Restorative care, including fillings, root canals, pulpectomy, extractions, space maintenance, SS crowns, etc.
- Dental hygiene education presentations at each HEALS school.
HEALS provides optometry care for kids
- Complete vision and eye health examinations
- Fitting for Medicaid glasses
HEALS provides social services to families
- Locating community resources for provision of household assistance such as food, clothing, shelter and other household necessities.
- Information on education and management of chronic diseases: asthma, diabetes, etc.
- HEALS Lite, a program teaching nutrition and exercise to encourage our children to lead healthy lives
HEALS Insurance Outreach Services
- HEALS Clinic Coordinators work with parents of ANY child in Madison County to help that child obtain insurance coverage–a child does not have to be eligible for HEALS to receive this assistance
- HEALS staff will assist parents/guardians with the appropriate application and will help obtain the required paperwork for Medicaid and AllKids
- Parents can call any of the HEALS Clinics for information and help
- For more information on the participating insurance providers, visit ALL Kids*
*ALL Kids is a low-cost, comprehensive healthcare coverage program for children under age 19. Benefits include well child check-ups and immunizations, sick child doctor visits, prescriptions, vision and dental care, hospitalization, mental health and substance abuse services, and much more.
HEALS provides health education and wellness to kids
- Asthma Classes – American Lung Association
- Health Teacher Classes – Huntsville Hospital Foundation
HEALS provides additional services to Madison County citizens:
- Assistance with children’s insurance applications
- Notification before child’s health insurance lapses
- Assistance with locating household needs: food, clothing, and obtaining costly prescriptions
HEALS is a school-based health center.
Medical & Dental Encounters for 2016-2017